Curtis Johnson, Ph.D.
201K STAR Campus
(located inside the DRI suite)
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, 2013, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, 2010, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, 2007, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Brain Tissue Mechanics
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Dr. Johnson uses magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to study the mechanics of tissues in the body and how they can be used to understand the structure, function, and health of various organs, with a specific focus on the human brain. In particular, Dr. Johnson uses the magnetic resonance elastography (MRE) technique, which noninvasively probes tissue viscoelasticity through the imaging of shear waves generated in the body. His research includes the development of high-resolution MRE imaging protocols through MRI pulse sequence design, image reconstruction schemes for accelerated MRE, and incorporation of advanced tissue models such as anisotropy and poroelasticity. Dr. Johnson explores using the MRE technique for a variety of applications in neuroscience, neurology, and neurosurgery, such as better understanding the structure-function relationship of the hippocampus and evaluating meningiomas prior to surgical resection.
- CL Johnson, MDJ McGarry, AA Gharibans, JB Weaver, KD Paulsen, H Wang, WC Olivero, BP Sutton, JG Georgiadis, “Local Mechanical Properties of White Matter Structures in the Human Brain,” NeuroImage, 2013, 79: p. 145-152.
- D Klatt, CL Johnson, RL Magin, “Simultaneous, Multidirectional Acquisition of Displacement Fields in Magnetic Resonance Elastography of the in vivo Human Brain,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 2015, 42 (2): p. 297-304.
- CL Johnson, JL Holtrop, MDJ McGarry, JB Weaver, KD Paulsen, JG Georgiadis, BP Sutton, “3D Multislab, Multishot Acquisition for Fast, Whole-Brain MR Elastography with High Signal-to-Noise Efficiency,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2014, 71 (2): p. 477-485.
- MDJ McGarry, CL Johnson, BP Sutton, EEW Van Houten, JG Georgiadis, JB Weaver, KD Paulsen, “Including Spatial Information in Nonlinear Inversion MR Elastography Using Soft Prior Regularization,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 2013, 32 (10): p. 1901-1909.
- MDJ McGarry, EEW Van Houten, CL Johnson, JG Georgiadis, BP Sutton, JB Weaver, KD Paulsen, “Multiresolution MR Elastography Using Nonlinear Inversion,” Medical Physics, 2012, 39 (10): p. 6388-6396.
- CL Johnson, MDJ McGarry, EEW Van Houten, JB Weaver, KD Paulsen, BP Sutton, JG Georgiadis, “Magnetic Resonance Elastography of the Brain using Multishot Spiral Readouts with Self-Navigated Motion Correction,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2013, 70 (2): p. 404-412.