Julie Kohn, Ph.D.
Newark, DE 19711
- Fulbright U.S. Scholar, Tanzania, 2018-2019
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering, 2017, Cornell University
- MS in Biomedical Engineering, 2016, Cornell University
- BS in Chemical Engineering, 2012, Bucknell University
- Cardiovascular Mechanotransduction
- Tissue and Regenerative Medicine
- Engineering Education
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Dr. Kohn’s research background centers on understanding which factors contribute to cardiovascular disease and how these factors initiate plaque development in the arteries. To answer these questions, Dr. Kohn has conducted experiments on the bench top, in mouse models, and by using computer modeling. Most recently, she undertook a research position as a Fulbright U.S. Scholar, where she examined arterial stiffness in human subjects. In addition to her research, Dr. Kohn is an avid educator and seeks to incorporate hands-on learning techniques into her lectures. She believes in the importance of developing well-rounded engineers, who can think critically and thrive both independently and on team-based projects.
- Kohn JC, Abdalrahman T, Sack KL, Reinhart-King CA, Franz T. (2018) Endothelial cells on an aged subendothelial matrix display heterogeneous strain profiles in silico, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 17: 1405 – 1414.
- Kohn JC, Bordeleau F, Miller J, Watkins HC, Modi S, Ma J, Azar J, Putnam D, Reinhart-King CA. (2018) Beneficial effects of exercise on subendothelial matrix stiffness are short-lived, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 140: 074501.
- Kohn JC, Azar J, Seta F, Reinhart-King CA. (2017) High-fat, high-sugar diet-induced subendothelial matrix stiffening is mitigated by exercise, Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology: 335 – 339.
- Kohn JC, Chen A, Cheng S, Kowal DR, King MR, Reinhart-King CA. (2016) Mechanical heterogeneities in the subendothelial matrix develop with age and decrease with exercise, Journal of Biomechanics 49: 1447 – 1453.
- He M, Potuck A, Kohn JC, Fung K, Reinhart-King CA, Chu C-C. (2016) Self-assembled cationic biodegradable nanoparticles from pH-responsive amino-acid-based poly(ester urea urethane)s and their application as a drug delivery vehicle, Biomacromolecules 17: 523 – 537.
- Kohn JC*, Lampi MC*, Reinhart-King CA. (2015) Age-related vascular stiffening: causes and consequences, Frontiers in Genetics 6: 112. (* contributed equally)
- Kohn JC*, Zhou DW*, Bordeleau F, Zhou AL, Mason BN, Mitchell MJ, King MR, Reinhart-King CA. (2015) Effects of matrix stiffness on endothelial cell response to fluid shear stress, Biophysical Journal 108: 471 – 478. (* contributed equally)
- Kim NY, Kohn JC, Huynh J, Carey SP, Mason BN, Vouyouka AG, Reinhart-King CA. (2015) Biophysical induction of vascular smooth muscle cell podosomes, PLOS ONE 10: e0119008.
- Kohn JC, Ebenstein DM. (2013) Eliminating adhesion errors in nanoindentation of compliant polymers and hydrogels, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 20: 316 – 326.